Our recipe this week was first made by food blogger and mom Nisha of Honey What’s Cooking as part of a post giving advice to the college Class of 2020. We love that it’s a fun vegetarian snack that anyone — even a recent college grad — could make. And even though her recipe calls for frozen corn, fresh corn is one of our summertime favorites! You can use fresh corn kernels right off the cob for a seasonal twist on the recipe.
What are some of your favorite snacks?
MASALA CORN AND SPINACH TOASTIES
1 tbsp unsalted butter, like Kerrygold
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 jalapeno with seeds, chopped
1 cup corn
1 cup spinach chopped
1 tbsp all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole milk
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp chat masala
1/2 cup pepper jack cheese
4 slices Ezekiel bread divided; whole wheat or white bread work too
1/2 cup pepper jack cheese divided; 2 tbsp per slice of bread
1. If using frozen corn, rinse it under warm water.
2. Heat up a stainless steel pan. Once hot, melt the unsalted butter, then add the garlic and jalapeno and saute for 30 seconds.
3. Add the corn and cook for about 2 minutes, then add the spinach and cook for 1-2 minutes more.
4. Add the flour, stir and cook for 1 minute. Slowly add the milk to avoid curdling, then cook for 2 minutes, until the milk thickens up slightly.
5. Stir in the salt, pepper, crushed red pepper, and chat masala. Add the cheese, then turn off the heat and stir.
6. Spread the masala corn mixture onto the bread, then top with a little more cheese. Put the slices into a toaster oven at 400 degrees for 4-5 minutes, or until the cheese melts. You can then broil the toasties if you’d like.
7. Once done, cut into triangles. Add a drop of Sriracha if you’d like a little extra kick.