Rupa Ganguly is a politician, playback singer, and also former actress. She is mainly known for playing “Draupadi” in the Mahabharata series.
Here are her details
- Date of birth: 25 November 1966
- Birthplace: Kalyani, Kolkata
- Home town: Kolkata
- Mother tongue: Hindi
- Marital status: Divorced
- Nationality: Indian
- Affairs/Boyfriends: Dhrubo Mukherjee
Height: 5 ft. 4 inches
Weight: 60 kgs
Hair colour: Black
Eye colour: Black
Figure measurements: 36 – 34 – 36
About Rupa Ganguly
The zodiac sign of the actress is Sagittarius and the age of her is 56 years old as of 2022. She completed her schooling at Kolkata’s Beltala Girls’ High School. To complete her after graduation, she went to Jogamaya Devi College. It was only after graduation that Roopa Ganguly decided to switch her career and try her luck in acting. This was when she started her career with some Bengali television shows.
Family life of Rupa Ganguly
She comes from a conservative Hindu family. Her father is Samarendra Lal Ganguly, and Roopa Ganguly’s actress mother is Juthika Ganguly. However, there is no information about her siblings as of now. She got married in 1992 to Dhrubo Mukherjee, who is a mechanical engineer. The couple gave birth to a son named Akash Mukherjee. Soon after, Rupa Ganguly divorced her husband in 2006 because he tried to destroy the actress’s career several times. Many speculate that Akash could never have the fame that Rupa Ganguly had, and this is what caused their marriage to be in deep trouble.
Career life of Rupa Ganguly
After Rupa Ganguly completed her graduation, she decided to take on the path of acting as a career. Initially, she started by doing a few Bengali series. She gained much recognition when Roopa Ganguly actress did a show named Muktabandha in 1986. In 1988, she made her debut with the Bengali film Prateek directed by Prabhat Roy. The same year, Mahabharata’s epic series got released, a massive hit. In this show, Rupa Ganguly played the role of Draupadi. This role brought her recognition, fame, and more great opportunities.
The entire nation knew Roopa Ganguly as Draupadi, and even today, everyone knows her by the same name. She continued working in TV serials and did some great shows like Karam Apna Apna, Love Story, Vakt Batayega Kaun Apna Kaun Paraya, Kasturi and Agle Janam Mohe Bitiya Hi Kijo. From Bengali, Hindi, English, Kannada, Odia, and Assamese to Telugu films, Rupa Ganguly did leave no stone unturned.
In 2015, Ganguly came into politics and joined the Bhartiya Janata Party (BJP). In 2016, she lost the West Bengal Legislative Assembly Elections opposite congress candidate Laxmi Ratan Shukla. However, the same year, Rupa Ganguly got nominated to the Rajya Sabha. She took the place of the famous cricketer Navjot Singh Sidhu who resigned from the party.
Achievements and awards received by Rupa Ganguly
- Smita Patil Memorial Award for Best Actress for TV series “Mahabharat” in 1989
- Kalakar Award for Best Actress for TV show “Mukta Bandha” in 1993
- Bengal Film Journalists’ Association Award for Best Supporting Actress for “Ujan” in 1996
- Kalakar Award for Best Actress for “Yugant” in 1998
- Kalakar Award for Best Actress for Television series “Ingeet” in 2002
- Dhaka International Film Festival Award for Best Actress for “Krantikaal” in 2006
- Bengal Film Journalists’ Association Award for Best Supporting Actress for “Antarmahal” in 2006
- National Film Award for Best Female Playback Singer for “Abosheshey” in 2011
- Roopa Ganguly and BJP’s national secretary, got summoned by the crime investigation department in 2017. Rupa Ganguly was accused in a child trafficking case. Her involvement in this high-profile case was surely controversial.
- She got into trouble for making a troublesome remark about women’s safety in West Bengal. She attacked the Mamta Banerjee government and said that ladies could not survive fifteen days without getting raped. Due to the outrage, things got really out of hand for Rupa Ganguly, and even an FIR was filed against her.
- She made an appearance in the top-rated show named each is Samna. Here she revealed various aspects of her personal life which were hard for her audience to digest. For example, she confessed that she had extra-marital affairs. Also, she revealed that she often got calls from people who wanted to spend a night with her in exchange for money. Even Bollywood directors asked for sexual favours in return for opportunities in the movies or shows.
This was all about Rupa Ganguly.
Frequently Asked Questions
She is from Kolkata.
She started her career after she graduated from college and was first seen in Bengali television series.
She was married to Dhrubo Mukherjee. However, the couple got separated in the year 2006 due to various issues.