What are Chakra Stones and Chakra Crystals?
Everything in our world—from intangibles like thoughts and colors to material objects like furniture—resonates at a vibrational frequency, or the speed that molecules rotate around each other. This causes an energetic wave, or vibration.
So do our seven chakras. When our chakras are not in alignment, or are either overactive or underactive, they cause problems in our mental, physiological and spiritual health.
Enter chakra stones and chakra crystals. Or just stones and crystals that happen to be the most stable and organized internal structures in nature. Here is a quote from Crystal Healing and Sacred Pleasure by Vanessa Cuccia, the creator of Chakrubs, that sums up their effect best:
“[Crystals] are made up of repeating arrangements of atoms known as crystal lattices…When we share space with a crystal, our energy bodies become more like that of the crystal, rather than the other way around. They superimpose harmonizing patterns of energy currents into the body’s energy field or aura.”
How do you use the 7 chakra stones?
There are several ways to use chakra stones for the seven chakras:
- Chakrubs and Yoni eggs, to be used intra-vaginally
- Creating a sacred healing space in the bath, altar or workspace
- Alongside meditative and yoga practices to supercharge your healing and alignment journey for each chakra
- Placed around your workspace or sleeping area to add a positive charge to your environment
- Worn around your neck or on your fingers as jewellery to stay in constant touch with the chakra stone’s energy
- Stroking the body with the chakra stone gently to develop self-awareness
- For massage techniques like Gua Sha applied along the bodily and facial meridians to improve circulation as a supplementary treatment for physical and mental ailments.
Steps to using Chakra Stones:
Step 1: Set an intention
The process of using a chakra stone begins at the time of procurement and goes on for as long as you use it. Set a respectful intention for the specific stone or crystal you would like to procure and how you envision your healing journey with it.
Step 2: Cleanse the stone
The thing about chakra stones is before they came into your life to be used, they were part of the earth and have been formed over aeons, absorbing powerful energies of even the humans who handle them and polish them before they reach you. Therefore, they need cleansing. The simplest way to do this is to dip the crystal in salt water for thirty minutes. Alternatively, you can leave the chakra stone overnight under moonlight.
Step 3: Create a sacred space for your rituals
The space you create should be one where you will not be disturbed for the length of the exercises you choose to do with the chakra stones. For best results, avoid the electromagnetic disturbances of Wifi and bluetooth devices and electronic gadgets.
What are the 7 chakra stones
There aren’t just seven chakra stones in nature. There are seven main chakras in the body that respond to the healing energies of specific stones and crystals and there are myriad choices based on shape, type of rock, and how you want to use the chakra stone or chakra crystal.
You can use multiple chakra stones that work great together or just use single ones individually for each chakra based on what you might be looking for in terms of healing and how advanced you are in your knowledge and attunement to the chakra’s charge and energies. Here’s a quick list of what chakra stones work for each chakra, mentioned along with the chakra’s corresponding colour*:
First Chakra: Red
Ruby, garnet, black tourmaline, bloodstone, hematite, obsidian, onyx, red jasper, lodestone, smoky quartz, and fire agate
Second Chakra: Orange
Carnelian, amber, moonstone, coral, orange tourmaline, and sunstone
Third Chakra: Yellow
Yellow citrine, amber, yellow/golden topaz, yellow tiger’s eye, yellow agate, and rutilated quartz
Fourth Chakra: Green
Rose quartz, emerald, green tourmaline, nephrite jade, green calcite, green kyanite, and peridot
Fifth Chakra: Blue
Turquoise, blue kyanite, aquamarine, celestite, iolite, sodalite, and lapis lazuli
Sixth Chakra: Indigo
Lapis lazuli, amethyst, fluorite, lepidolite, sugilite, tanzanite, clear quartz, blue sapphire, blue aventurine, and kyanite
Seventh Chakra: Violet
Amethyst, clear quartz, Herkimer diamond, labradorite, moon-stone, selenite, phenacite, kunzite, apophyllite, and white topaz
What does each chakra stone do?
Each chakra stone carries a particular charge that harmonizes aligns the energy of a particular chakra. While their way of working might be the same, every individual stone has different properties and varies in its effectiveness—no two chakra stones are the same. Here are a few examples of chakra-specific stones and how they work for each chakra.
- Black Tourmaline
Black tourmaline is a protective stone that provides a psychic shield to repel and dispel negative energies, entities, or destructive forces.
- Purifies and neutralizes negative thoughts and internal conflicts, transforming them into productive, positive energy
- Grounds and restores one’s connection with the earth
- Promotes self-confidence
- Reduces anxiety and stress
- Relieves insecurities around unworthiness
- Strengthens the sense of smell and enhances response to pheromones
- Red Jasper
Egyptian cultures once associated Red Jasper with the fertilizing blood of Mother Isis. It carries a strong spiritual grounding vibration and creates a strong connection to the earth.
- Nurtures and heals the spirit
- Promotes courage, wisdom, focus and self-control
- Helps release sexual shame or guilt
- Injects freshness and new ideas into creative work
The word carnelian is derived from the Latin word for flesh. It stimulates blood flow and influences the reproductive organs of both sexes.
- Enhances passion, love, and desire
- Restores vitality and stimulates creativity
- Evokes confidence and helps overcome sexual anxieties and eating disorders
- Protects against envy, rage, or resentment turned towards oneself and others
Also known as the “earth rainbow”, agate has been used for healing from the times of Babylon.
- Stabilizes and strengthens
- Balances emotional energy
- Can be used as a support crystal during pregnancy to avoid postpartum depression
- Encourages realistic and pragmatic thinking
- Useful for overcoming trauma
A transparent, yellow variety of quartz, citrine carries the power of the sun and invigorates its wearer by inspiring creativity and authentic self-expression.
- Assists in releasing negativity from the past and assimilating lessons
- Raises self-esteem and promotes an optimistic outlook
- Shields against spite and jealousy
- Enhances physical stamina
- “Golden Topaz
This stone is an excellent tool for connecting with the divine force as it harnesses the energy of the sun to promote vibrancy, generosity, and strength. Wearing it eases stress and irritability.
– Promotes clarity when creating intentions and taps into inner resources
– Brings awareness of personal influence and helps transform life experiences into lessons
– Promotes good health and emotional stability
- Rose Quartz
Rose Quartz was Pantone’s It-colour a couple of years ago and since then everything from teenage girls’ bedrooms to Gua Sha tools has been populated by this gorgeous stone and its arresting colour.
Supports connection within groups and community
– Stimulates sensual imagination
– Comforts and heals heart wounds
– Helps attract new love, romance, and intimacy
– Inspires a love of beauty and appreciation for nature
– Prevents nightmares or night terrors
- Nephrite Jade
Nephrite jade is revered for the wisdom it provides during tranquil states. It balances masculine and feminine energies and helps heal dysfunctional relationships, while providing protection and attracting abundance. It’s known as the stone of fidelity.
Increases love and nurturing
– Calms the nervous system
– Supports sexual energy, fertility, and childbirth
– Heals guilt
– Helps one live authentically
- Lapis Lazuli
To the Ancient Egyptians, lapis lazuli represented the night sky and power of the gods. It is a crystal of universal truth and enhances all forms of communication.
- Encourages honesty
- Invites calm, loving communication
- Promotes self-awareness and inner acceptance
- Releases repressed anger
Sodalite is helps one communicate complex ideas and helps the wearer develop their intuition.
- Helpful for ending arguments and communicating emotions in an honest, loving manner
- Encourages idealism to remain true to one’s self and stand up for their beliefs
- Awakens latent creative abilities
- Blue Sapphire
The stone loved by royalty, blue sapphire signifies wisdom, structure, discipline, and strength. This stone has the power to transform negative thoughts and encourages acceptance and healing.
– Releases depression and lightens the mood
– Promotes self-understanding
– Encourages the mind to open to beauty and intuition”
- Blue Aventurine
To the ancient Tibetans, blue aventurine was sacred as it promoted visionary powers and was used to improve nearsightedness as well as enhance creativity.
Beneficial in overcoming bad habits and negative personality traits
– Balances hormones and supports healthy blood
– Enhances psychic and intuitive abilities
– Helps one make clear decisions and commit to them
Love and eroticism: Ancient Romans believed the moonstone encapsulated the image of Diana, the Moon Goddess, who could endow love, wealth, victory, and wisdom upon its possessor.
- Attunes one to the natural rhythms of the body
- Stimulates Kundalini energy and carnal desires
- Enhances the intuitive side of the mind and helps women claim their feminine power and clairvoyant abilities
Derived from the ancient Greek word amethustos, meaning “not drunk,” amethyst was carved by the Greeks into ancient drinking gourds to ward off drunkenness.
– Highlights root causes behind negative behaviors and emotional patterns
– Sustains peaceful energy to help one overcome addictions
– Carries high spiritual energy and encourages devotion to the divine
– Enhances intuition and psychic powers
** This section was written with heavy reference to Crystal Healing and Sacred Pleasure by Vanessa Cuccia
How do you choose chakra stones?
There are various complexities and nuances that go into selecting stones. Maintaining a calm, meditative disposition and strong intentions will allow you to experience each stone’s energies properly as you go about the selection process. For starters, there are three simple steps to choosing a chakra stone:
Step 1: Identify your needs
Recognize the areas your body and mind are calling out for attention to. Has your digestion been a little off lately? Maybe your solar plexus chakra is a bit out of whack. Are you struggling with depression? Consider working on your third eye or crown chakra.
Step 2: Select the stone that is right for you
Decide upon the stone you would like to purchase for yourself. Ask an energy healer or a reiki practitioner for guidance, if you can. Set the intention to procure that stone.
Step 3: Identify the source
The best practice for your healing would be to hold the stone in your hand and feel its energy before you pay for it. Choose a source that is ethical and fair-trade so as to minimize the negative energies that the crystal may carry. It is not recommended to get the stone from an online source.
Step 4: Listen to your gut
Some say that they can “feel the stone calling out to them”. Other times, what may happen is that a stone simply doesn’t feel right to you, in spite of how well-polished or clear it might be. If you are new to the process, then perhaps it might be best to go with someone more experienced or knowledgeable as you might not be able to pick up on the energy rightaway.
What is the most powerful stone?
All crystals and stones are formed over millions of years, with their existence predating human civilization itself. They all carry tremendous stability and power. The most powerful stone, if it exists, might not necessarily work in a powerful way if it is not right for you and aligned with your needs. This is why choosing a stone is so essential a part of the process.
What crystal is the most dangerous?
The mining process of crystals can be and is extremely unethical, placing miners’ and their families’ lives in grave danger for as little as $1 a day. In that sense, uncleansed crystals from unethical sources carry the energy of all those who suffer in the process of bringing them from mines to crystal shops or Goop.com. Any misused crystal that is not treated with the care and sanctity it deserves can be dangerous.
But every crystal carries an energetic field and either you are equipped (sufficiently experienced) to handle the powerful energy release or you are not. Some of the most powerful crystals can be dangerous if you are not ready for them. According to divinetwist.com, one of the most highly potent and therefore “dangerous” crystals is Moldavite. It is also one of the rarest (and somewhat expensive) crystals, its original source is mainly found in the Czech Republic.
“Moldavites can enhance the feeling of being mentally or physically out of control, heart palpitations, and an increase in anger. This can cause a loss of rationality and/or an inability to discern between reality and fantasy.”
What crystals should not be together?
It’s next to impossible to list out all the possible combinations of crystals that could go wrong or at best cancel out the effects of one another. But there are a few principles that you should follow:
- Sunstones and stones that are associated with Saturn and Venus.
- Moonstones are not to be combined with Mercury stones.
- Rubies with cat’s eye, garnet, sapphire, and diamonds
- Venusian and Mercury stones cannot be used with any gemstones associated with the planet Jupiter.
- Cat’s eye should be used alone
- Blue and green gemstones associated with the Sun and Mercury must not be used of Martian red corals.
- Firestones and water stones or firestones and earth stones
Examples of stones that shouldn’t be combined:
- Orange Calcite and Blue Lace Agate
- Blue Lace Agate and Red Jasper or Carnelian
- Carnelian and Amethyst
- Tiger’s Eye and Smoky Quartz
- Tiger’s Eye and Amazonite