A perfect combination of nutrition and taste, channa chaat is indeed an ideal snack. With myriad ingredients this one has multiple flavours including sweet, savoury and tangy flavours, all of which are well-balanced by the starchy chickpeas. A snack that can double up as a mini meal, this one also serves as an ideal appetizer. Channa chaat can be prepped in advance; hence it is also a great idea for parties and get togethers alike. Simple and flavourful, this one is sure to keep your guests happy!
Chickpeas: health benefits galore
Chickpeas have an extremely impressive nutrient profile and is a rich source of vitamins, minerals and protein. They are believed to be good for digestive health, bone health and aid in weight loss. It is loaded with dietary fibre and rich in minerals like potassium, iron, magnesium and selenium. Chickpeas is known to have a positive effect on heart and skin health too. Channa chaat is a great way to incorporate this legume in your diet. A much-loved delicacy this one is easy to prepare and a favourite with all.
- 2 cups boiled channa
- 1/3 cup onions finely chopped
- 1/3 cup tomatoes finely chopped
- 1 cup boiled potatoes crushed
- 2 tbsp coriander mint chutney
- 2 tbsp tamarind date chutney
- 1 tsp green chillies finely chopped (optional)
- 1 tbsp coriander finely chopped
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp chaat masala
- 1 tsp black salt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- Soak the chickpeas in water overnight. Pressure cook along with salt and turmeric until soft by adding about 4 cups water.
- To make the green chutney grind together coriander leaves, a few mint leaves, green chillies per your taste along with lemon juice and salt. Take care not to add too much water and pass through a sieve if needed.
- For the tamarind-date chutney, take equal portions (say ½ cup) of tamarind, dates and jaggery and cook the same in water. Allow to boil and then add spices like 1 tsp of red chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin powder each along with ½ tsp of ginger powder. Allow to cook for a few minutes after which cool and blend the mixture. Sieve and store in an air tight container.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the chick peas, add 2 tbsp coriander mint chutney, 2 tbsp tamarind chutney, green chillies, onions, tomatoes and potatoes. Add the lemon juice, red chilli, cumin, chat powder and black salt and give it a good mix. Add salt if required.
- Garnish with coriander and sev.
- Adjust salt, spices and the chutneys per your taste.
- You can add a handful of crushed flat papdi or crushed hollow pani puri puris to the channa chaat.
- Feel free to add other ingredients like finely chopped cucumber and grated beetroots and/or carrots to your Channa chaat.
- You can used canned chick peas as well.
This story is the last of our series on the eclectic street delight that is chaat on SEEMA.com. To check out the previous story in the series, read Samosa Chaat: Samosas with a Delightful Twist