If you love exploring new eyeshadow looks in a myriad of vivid colors, rainbow eyeshadow may be the perfect addition to your beauty regiment. So what exactly is rainbow eyeshadow? Simply put, it’s a melding of bright eyeshadow colors that resembles a resplendent rainbow. While the look may appear complex, it’s not really difficult to achieve. In fact, if you’re new to this trend, all you need is some practice. Here is a tutorial to help you get started with this fun, spectacular look.
Colorful Eye Makeup Steps
- Be sure to prep your eyes by first washing your eye area. Then apply some moisturizer and an eyelid primer. The primer is imperative, as it boosts the staying power of your eyeshadow and promotes a smoother, more flawless look.
- Apply your foundation and concealer to your eyelids.
- Select a bright or poppy pink shade from your eyeshade palette, and apply some toward your eyelid’s center.
- Select an orange shade next or something very similar to that, and apply this adjacent to the splash of pink you just created. Remember to blend the colors for a seamless look without any harsh edges.
- Take a radiant yellow shade, and apply this to the part where the orange fades. Remember to fade each shade, including your yellow one, as your go along your eyelid.
- Next, apply a bright green shade alongside your yellow shade, all the while fading it out as you move along your eyelid.
- Apply a turquoise or similar shade to your green one, meld a bit, and fade this out toward the outer end of your lid as well. You have now applied, and blended some colors of a magnificent rainbow.
- Check for any other visible harsh lines, and blend these with your eyeshadow brush.
- For added boldness, or if you feel a shade is too dim, simply apply more eyeshadow. Don’t forget to blend any harsh lines there too though.
- Choose an eyeliner to complement your new colorful eyeshadow look. Perhaps try a yellow, pink, or blue eyeshadow here. To boost visual effect, add a shade you’ve used, along your bottom lash line too. If not, apply the same eyeliner you’ve used along your upper lash line to your bottom lash line.
- A bold look like this would not be complete without a pair of false eyelashes, so apply some falsies here.
- Apply some black mascara to your lashes.
- Boost and complete this beautiful colorful eyeshadow trend with beautifully shaped on-fleek eyebrows. If you’re not keen on micro blading, you can buy some eyebrow stencils to help shape yours.
- To bolster this colorful eye look, you can also apply some color eyeshadow over your eyebrows.
- Spray some setting spray over your face once you’ve applied the makeup to the rest of your face, and get ready to stun.
Products You Will Need for This Colorful Eye Look
To create the most dazzling effects, you will need the following.
- A quality, gentle cleanser.
- Face moisturizer.
- An eyelid primer and concealer. An excellent product here is Estee Lauder’s Double Wear Instant Fix 24 hour concealer, with hydra prep primer.
- A foundation. If you’re going to be using Estee Lauder’s Instant Fix primer and concealer, it’s best to use the Estee Lauder Double Wear foundation too for best results.
- Eyeshadow brushes, including a clean one for blending.
- An eye-shadow palette with an array of brilliant colors. It’s best that your palette includes all, or most colors of the rainbow. If not, you may need extra palettes to complete your color spectrum.
- Your favorite eyeliner.
- False eyelashes.
- A bold, black mascara like Estee Lauder’s Sumptuous Extreme in black.
Tips for Applying Colorful Eyeshadow
- Apply your colorful eye makeup before applying makeup to the rest of your face. This prevents eyeshadow fallout on your cheeks and the rest of your makeup.
- To limit fallout, lightly tap your eyeshadow brush after applying individual shades.
- You should also try to use a crisp separate eyeshadow brush to blend your colors for better results.
- If you want your colorful eye makeup to be more striking and bold, apply each shade with a slightly damp eyeshadow brush. Be sure to not overdo this, as your brush may become too soggy, and make your colors run.
- If you’re not feeling daring enough for a super bold effect, you can always tone done your colorful eye look, by applying a neutral color shade like taupe, to your eyelid base.
- To prevent excess eyeshadow from spilling over into your eyes, try applying your turquoise and greenish shades with a sparser eyeshadow brush.
- Be sure to wash your eyeshadow and blending brushes after each use. This is more hygienic, and it prevents any residual products from affecting the results of your next eyeshadow look.
- Remember that the color sequence does not have to match this tutorial exactly. You can sequence your colors as you prefer, as long as you achieve that remarkable rainbow aesthetic.
In a nutshell, colorful eyeshadow can be worn as an eyeliner along both your lower or upper lash line. It can also be worn in a lighter way, if you tone it down with a neutral eyeshadow shade first. You can also wear it bolder by first dampening your eyeshadow brush. Some may want to just apply this colorful eyeshadow look to the center or corner of their eyelids. Then there are those who prefer applying the rainbow look over the entire eyelid.
If you’re trying to achieve that splendid full rainbow effect, it’s best to use all the colors of the rainbow over your entire eyelid. Don’t forget to complement your eyelids, by applying a shade you’ve used along your upper and lower lash lines.
After preparing your eyelids with a cleanser, primer, foundation, and concealer; start applying your different shades. Apply the varying shades alongside each other, and blend away all the harsh lines with a blending brush. If you want to complete the look and add more dramatic effect, it’s best to shape your eyebrows too, and apply false eyelashes and mascara.
If you’re a beginner you may not want to go for an exceedingly bold look at first. It’s therefore best to start with an eyeshadow palette that has all the colors you need, but in lighter or more subtle hues. Note that if you want a subtler look at first, you should not apply your colorful eye makeup with a damp eyeshadow brush.
You can get the full effect of this colorful eye look by choosing the most dramatic colors. Be sure to include the entire spectrum of colors or most of it, for a full rainbow effect. You should therefore strive to have an eyeshadow palette with pinks, blues or turquoise, greens, yellows, orange, and possibly red. If you like, you may blend red with orange, or blue with turquoise, although it’s not necessary, as these shades are very similar.