This spicy, tangy, tasty Indo-Chinese wonder can lift up any meal
Cauliflower (gobi) Manchurian with fried rice makes for a delightful Indo-Chinese meal. Fried rice or pasta are generally served with this meal, which is a popular vegetarian option. A soy sauce-based gravy with tomato, chilli and garlic is mixed with deep-fried cauliflower and served with scallions. This vegetarian Indo-Chinese dish is a snap to put together!
- 20 oz cauliflower
- 6 tbsp plain flour
- 5 tbsp corn flour
- Salt, to taste
- Water, as required
For the sauce
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic, chopped
- 3/4 tbsp ginger, chopped
- 2 green chilli, deseeded and chopped
- ¾ tbsp white scallion, chopped
- 3/4 tbsp celery, chopped
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 ½ tablespoons soy sauce dark
- 1 tablespoon red chili sauce
- 1 ½ tbsp tomato sauce
- ¾ tablespoon corn flour mixed in 4-5 tbsp water
- ¾ cup water
- Green scallions
- Cut off the cauliflower’s stem, then peel off the bottom leaves. Depending on the size of the florets, separate them one at a time.
- Heat up a large pot of water, add some turmeric powder and salt, and then add the cauliflower. After one or two minutes, drain and rinse the cauliflower under cold water. Wipe with a paper towel.
- Combine cornmeal, all-purpose flour, and salt in a bowl.
- Make a smooth, lump-free batter, adding water a little at a time.
- Coat your washed florets thoroughly with batter.
- Heat oil to a medium-high heat in a deep frying pan.
- Add the cauliflower florets one by one.
- Wrap in a dish towel and store in an airtight container
- Prepare a half-cup of water and 3/4 tbsp of corn flour in a separate bowl.
- Cook garlic and ginger in a nonstick pan at a high temperature until fragrant.
- Fry onions in a skillet.
- Add sliced green chilli and white scallions to the onions.
- Add a little salt and cook on high heat, then lower the heat and stir in 1 tsp chilli powder.
- Add the chilli and tomato sauces, soy sauce, and one teaspoon of sugar and combine well.
- To make a dry version, add the fried cauliflower and stir well, then decorate with scallions.
- Pour in ¾ cup of water and bring it to a boil before adding 3 or 4 tablespoons of cornflour mixture.
- Let the sauce thicken.
- Add the fried cauliflower and stir well.
- Add diced scallions and stir well again.
- Move the food to a serving dish.
- Serve with cooked rice or noodles.