Salads are a regular feature in my home, especially for lunch. For one, the variety that one can make is mind-boggling. You can never get bored! For another, they are super easy to put together. That makes lunchtime prep a breeze. And, as a gardener, the joys of picking greens from the backyard and churning up something delicious is priceless.
In this harvest salad, I’ve used seasonal produce. You can shake things up by changing the fruit and greens combo.
Ingredients for Harvest Salad
Greens: I’ve used spinach, but you can use mixed greens as well. I love the combo of baby kale, tender kale, baby spinach and lettuce greens.
Fruits: Golden delicious apples and pomegranate arils make up the sweetness in my salad. These are both in season now. The apples are not overly sweet, and of course, the pomegranate arils lend a vibrant touch.
Cheese: Freshly grated parmesan (use the vegetarian version if you don’t want to consume rennet) adds a wonderfully creamy texture to this salad. You can use feta as well.
Mixed nuts: For some crunchiness and protein-packed goodness add a mix of my Fruity-Nutty Trail Mix. It provides the grand finale to this delicious dish.
ACV Dressing: This is by far the most important part of this recipe. No store-bought versions, thank you! This dressing is super easy to fix. You can even fill up a quart sized bottle with this heavenly goodness and drizzle it on all your salads. This is a simple, yet flavorful dressing made of apple cider vinegar (ACV), honey, chili flakes, salt, pepper and extra virgin olive oil.
Why Is This Healthy?
This easy-to-make salad is bursting with nutrition! Spinach contains potassium, folic acid, iron, calcium, magnesium, and vitamins B6, B9, C, K and E. Apples are high in soluble fiber, which helps lower cholesterol. They also have polyphenols, which are linked to lower blood pressure and stroke risk. Regular consumption of pomegranate helps in improving gut health, digestion, and keep bowel diseases at bay.
This vibrant, colorful, crunchy and easy-to-make salad uses seasonal produce like spinach, golden apples and pomegranate arils tossed in a delicious home-made dressing. Great for lunch or save left overs!
Course: Appetizer, main course, salad, side dish
Special diet: Gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, raw, vegan, vegetarian, no added sugar.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 10 minutes
- 4 cups spinach. Baby spinach or mixed greens
- ½ cup pomegranate arils
- 1 apple, sliced long. I used Golden Delicious
- 1 tbsp Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp Himalayan pink salt
- ½ tbsp honey, or maple syrup
- ½ tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- ½ tsp red chili flakes. Or to taste
- Add tender, baby spinach to a large bowl.
- Add pomegranate arils.
- Add freshly grated Parmesan cheese (or any vegan cheese).
- Add apple slices (I’ve used Golden Delicious).
- Add mixed nuts. For recipe, click here.
- In a bowl or bottle, combine apple cider vinegar, olive oil, honey or maple syrup, salt, freshly ground black pepper and chili flakes. Whisk well.
- You can save this dressing in your pantry for later use as well. Use a glass bottle with a tight-fitting cap.
- Before serving, toss the salad with salad dressing. Vary dressing quantity based on preference.
You can prep this salad for a couple of days. Add the dressing and apples just before serving.
*Use organic ingredients wherever possible
For the full recipe, go here!
Healthy Indian empowers people to live a nourishing, healthy lifestyle. It provides recipes of healing foods for the body and soul, yoga movements, Ayurveda, gardening and much more. So, look around, soak in the goodness, and join it as it revolutionizes what it means to live healthy. Follow it on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, YouTube and Tumblr for healthy, easy and delicious recipes and lifestyle tips.