Today we’re going to take a deep dive into our favourite topic: Glamorous Makeup! There’s such a world of possibilities out there. There are the glamorous red carpet looks, runway looks, covergirl glam and downright gorgeous wedding glam. If you’re planning your wedding, you’ve come to the right place. It’s a great time as any to amp up the radiance, the queen-of-everything confidence—even if you’re just glamming up for your girl’s night in.
But before we get into the glamorous make up tutorials and glamorous makeup looks, we’re going to get to the commonly asked questions.
What do you need for a full-glam makeup look?
The thing that takes your look from stay-at-home house party to old time Bollywood actress glam is the right products. They should give you a clear, bright and glowing complexion, and a lovely (non-oily) shine.
These go beyond makeup hobbyist to makeup pro so it’s best to go to the makeup store by yourself and not order these tools online. It’s alright if you can’t get all of them/don’t have all of them with you at the moment. Makeup is as much about looking perfect as it is about breaking and playing with rules and jugaad (innovating with what you have).
To put it in 10 quick bullets, you’ll need:
- A long-lasting Primer and one that’s specifically suitable to the sensitive area below your eyes
TATCHA THE SILK CANVAS
Filter Finish Protective Primer $52 | https://www.tatcha.com/product/SILK-CANVAS.html
FENTY BEAUTY by Rihanna
Bright Fix Eye Brightener Concealer, $25 https://www.sephora.com/product/fenty-beauty-rihanna-bright-fix-eye-brightener-concealer-P472161?skuId=2465920&icid2=skugrid:p472161
- A lightweight, medium-full-coverage foundation for your face and one that’s specifically to the pigmented area below your eyes.
Born This Way Natural Finish Foundation
UNDETECTABLE, FLAWLESS COVERAGE FOUNDATION $40 | https://www.toofaced.com/product/23475/59029/face-makeup/foundation/born-this-way-natural-finish-foundation/undetectable-flawless-coverage-foundation
- A smooth concealer for your face and one that’s one to two shades lighter than your skin tone under your eyes
Yves Saint Laurent
Touche Éclat All-Over Brightening Concealer Pen $38 | https://www.sephora.com/product/touche-eclat-radiance-perfecting-pen-P218431?skuId=1411628&icid2=skugrid:p218431
- Bronzers and highlighters for your face to sharpen up your features
Rare Beauty by Selena Gomez
Positive Light Liquid Luminizer Highlight $22 | https://www.sephora.com/product/rare-beauty-by-selena-gomez-positive-light-liquid-luminizer-highlight-P38855877?skuId=2362168&icid2=skugrid:p38855877
- Eyeshadow and eyeliner
Nude Obsessions Eyeshadow Palette $29 | https://www.sephora.com/product/nude-obsessions-eyeshadow-palette-P450887?skuId=2288090&icid2=skugrid:p450887
- Eyebrow gel or eyebrow liner
Gimme Brow+ Tinted Volumizing Eyebrow Gel $24 | https://www.sephora.com/product/gimme-brow-P409239?skuId=2080224&icid2=skugrid:p409239
- Eyelash curlers or fake eyelashes
Picture Perfect Duo $18 | https://www.sephora.com/product/picture-perfect-duo-P275309?skuId=1271998&icid2=skugrid:p275309:product
- Lip liners and lip colour in the format of your choice (lipstick, liquid colour, etc)
Always On Longwear Matte Liquid Lipstick $24 | https://www.sephora.com/product/always-on-matte-liquid-lipstick-P409317?skuId=2304343&icid2=skugrid:p409317
- Glam powder
Night Light by Hank & Henry $25 | https://hankandhenry.com/products/night-light?variant=29424950247458
- Setting or fixing powder
POUDRE UNIVERSELLE LIBRE
Natural Finish Loose Powder $52 | https://www.chanel.com/us/makeup/p/132212/poudre-universelle-libre-natural-finish-loose-powder/
For the complexion part, you want to depend on your skincare. Maybe do a pore-shooting facial the previous day and clear your blackheads so there are absolutely no unwieldy bumps to work on during the part where you apply your foundation.
Pro-tip: According to celebrity makeup and hair designer Bianca Louzado, a friendly DIY skincare hack that makes makeup last longer is a beauty ice tray with things like frozen green tea, tomato juice, rose water, etc. “It constricts my pores and make-up lasts longer.”
Sure, there are things you can add to the above makeup list to take your look to the next level—this can go from shimmering powders to lip specific primers and glitter— but it’s all wasted if you don’t have the skills to draw your lines and blend your colours appropriately.
What comes to your mind when you think of the word “glam”? Are you thinking of old Bollywood/Hollywood style glamor with the tight curls, siren lips and the bold winged eyes? Or are you looking for a softer glam that’s more popular these days like Alia Bhatt pulls off in the glowing pictures below?
Credit: Alia Bhatt Instagram | https://www.instagram.com/p/B2kT1nOFpvJ/
There’s also Priyanka Chopra-Jonas’ ravishing glamor in her BAFTAs outfit video here, with the bold lip and the serious sizzle for eyeshadow:
The common factor between Chopra Jonas and Bhatt is that whether their make up is popping Hollywood glam or Bhatt’s softer, more natural glam—is the clarity, brightness and precision.
Clarity and brightness can also come with skill and perfection during application. However, the crucial game changers are your precision and attention to detail. There’s no point in getting all this stuff and just letting it lie there. Pick up some YouTube tutorials and get practicing.
The only difference between an all-and-all out glam look and a more au naturel finish is the type of products and shade palettes you’ll be using on your face (maybe going a little easier on them), and probably a lovely bunch of shimmering, gold and bronze-toned dust.
If you’re going for the out and out glamorous look that Priyanka Chopra is sporting in the above video, here’s how you do it:
1. Prep the face with a lightweight moisturiser and apply a primer to create an even canvas for your face.
2. Next, use a damp beauty blender, a makeup sponge or a brush to apply foundation to the entire face avoiding the area around the eyes. The tool you use depends on the type of foundation you’re using and of course, your comfort.
3. Apply concealer to your blemishes. Some may lie as fading zits or (and again, a separate concealer for your under-eyes).
4. To sharpen your cheekbones and jaws, suck in your cheeks and get out those contouring and highlighting products.
5. Paint on some blush to the apples of the cheeks and for best results, blend with a blush brush or a separate blender.
6. Now, use your eye kit and have some fun with the eyes. Begin with eyeshadow and finish off with mascara.
7. Lips time. If you want to go all out and ensure long lasting, set lips, you might want to use some lips-specific primers and foundation for this.
8. And finally, spray on some setting spray or set with a setting powder.