A dessert representing Ayurvedic wisdom and Indian tradition.
- 2 cups grass-fed, full-fat, organic cow’s milk
- A fistful of rice (washed, soaked, and drained).
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp raisins
- 1 tsp crushed cardamom
- 1 tbsp rose water
- Boil the milk until it becomes a little thick.
- Add the rice to it and let it boil.
- Keep stirring every 5 minutes so nothing sticks to the bottom.
- Once it’s reduced to a porridge-like consistency, turn off the stove.
Notes: My mom taught me to add sugar (2 serving spoons) once the mixture has cooled down a little bit. You can sauté the raisins in ghee or add them raw to the kheer. Garnish with crushed cardamom and some rose water.
“Ayurveda is not just a few medicines or a few scriptures, but a holistic total lifestyle deeply involved with yoga, meditation, food habits and epigenetic social cultures” ~ Amit Ray, “Yoga, the Science of Well-Being”