Try this mango sauce pasta by food blogger Parul Nagpal follows her passion to create healthy, yummy, nutrilicious recipes.
I was in high school when I started learning basic cooking from my mother. But the real journey began after her training since it was difficult to manage my studies along with the kitchen.
I moved to another town to work in an IT organization and, a few months later, opted for a healthy lifestyle. I began working on a diet plan that was all about experimenting with food. The challenge was to cook vegetarian, protein-rich healthy dishes. I tested many recipes that helped me to lose my excess pounds. Along the way, healthy cooking became my passion.
I started food-blogging almost a year ago, and plan to continue to follow my passion to develop nutrilicious recipes.
Mango sauce pasta is a dish I created last summer after observing the craze for mango delicacies different food bloggers on Instagram exhibited. The inspiration for this easy and quick recipe has been taken from a popular South Indian dish, “Mango Rice,” which is also my favorite. As the name suggests, this pasta comes with a twist of real mango. There are many varieties of mango available around the world, so you can use any of them to make pasta sauce sweet or sour, according to your taste.
1 1/2 cup pasta of your choice
4 1/2 tbsp butter
1/4 cup diced onions
1/3 cup broccoli
1/3 cup mixed bell peppers
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 cup milk, at room temperature
3/4 cup mango pulp
1/4 cup black olives
5 cherry tomatoes (optional)
1 tsp cooking oil
Water to boil the pasta
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp red chilli flakes
1/2 tsp basil leaves
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
Step 1: Boil Pasta
- In a sauce pan, add 5 cups of pasta. Boil it once.
- Add pinch of salt and cooking oil in it.
- Add pasta and cook it until soft.
- Once cooked, rinse it with cold water and keep it aside.
- Save pasta water for later use.
Step 2: Sauté Veggies
- In a pan, add 2 tbsp butter. Let it melt.
- Add onions and sauté for a minute.
- Add broccoli and mix bell peppers and sauté for 3-4 minutes.
- Add salt, mix well and keep the pan aside.
Step 3: Prepare pasta sauce
- In another pan, add the remaining 2 1/2 tbsp butter and let it melt.
- Add garlic and sauté for a min. Don’t burn it.
- Add all-purpose flour and cook it until the color changes to light brown.
- Add milk in batches and mix well. Use whisk to make the sauce lump free.
- Add mango purée and mix well.
- Add all the spices and mix well. You can adjust the salt if you want. The sauce is ready
Step 4: Prepping the pasta
- Add the sautéed veggies to pasta sauce, including the black olives and the optional cherry tomatoes halves. Mix well and cook for 3-4 min.
- Mix boiled pasta in pasta sauce. Add some pasta water to adjust the consistency of pasta sauce.
- The mango sauce pasta is ready. Garnish it with some mango chunks and sprinkle some extra oregano over it.
Blend big chunks of mango to make smooth and lump free mango purée.
You can add or replace veggies of your choice.
Use dry and crushed basil leaves to sprinkle in pasta sauce.
I used Alphonso mangoes for my pasta sauce.
You can use any pasta shape. I have used wheat penne-shaped pasta though wheat pasta takes longer time to boil properly.
For more details, visit Parul Nagpal on Instagram @purukitchen
Also try this Spaghetti with Masala Brie.