Sometimes, our nostalgia can birth the best things, like Mansi Mehta’s special Sev Khamni recipe that features only the best of Gujarati cuisine
Hi, my name is Mansi, and I am a pharmacist by profession, but my passion is to travel and eat good food. I want to share everything I know about food and travel with the world, and also to let everyone know that it is super easy to find vegetarian food.
I share my recipes, travel guides and restaurant reviews on my blog. I love it when I get messages like “I tried your recipe,” and “I went to the restaurant after your recommendation.”
The Sev Khamni Recipe
Sev Khamni was one of my favorite Gujarati snacks, especially for breakfast. I love its spicy, tangy and sweet flavor and that it’s topped with pomegranate seeds and sev to add crunch. The recipe is super easy, and it’s a good way to repurpose leftover khamans.
- 1 packet instant khaman mix
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp grated coconut
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 tsp green chilies. chopped (modify as per taste)
- Salt as needed
- ¼ tsp asafetida powder
- 1 ½ tsp lime juice
- ¼ cup thin sev
- Follow the instructions for khaman dhokla on the packet.
- Once done, let it cool and crumble into 10 pieces.
- Heat a pan on medium heat with oil. Add mustard seeds and asafoetida powder.
- Add green chilies and grated garlic.
- Add crumbled khaman dhokla, sugar, salt, shredded coconut, and lime juice. Toss it well.
- Garnish with pomegranates seeds, cilantro and thin sev. Serve immediately.
For more nostalgia driven recipes on SEEMA, check out this Savory Brown Rice Pongal Recipe