Our recipe this week was first made by food blogger and mom Nisha of Honey What’s Cooking as part of a post giving advice to the college Class of 2020. We love that it’s a fun vegetarian snack that anyone — even a recent college grad — could make. And even though her recipe calls for frozen corn, fresh corn is one of our summertime favorites! You can use fresh corn kernels right off the cob for a seasonal twist on the recipe.
What are some of your favorite snacks?
MASALA CORN AND SPINACH TOASTIES
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter, like Kerrygold
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 jalapeno with seeds, chopped
- 1 cup corn
- 1 cup spinach chopped
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp chat masala
- 1/2 cup pepper jack cheese
- 4 slices Ezekiel bread divided; whole wheat or white bread work too
- 1/2 cup pepper jack cheese divided; 2 tbsp per slice of bread
- If using frozen corn, rinse it under warm water.
- Heat up a stainless steel pan. Once hot, melt the unsalted butter, then add the garlic and jalapeno and saute for 30 seconds.
- Add the corn and cook for about 2 minutes, then add the spinach and cook for 1-2 minutes more.
- Add the flour, stir and cook for 1 minute. Slowly add the milk to avoid curdling, then cook for 2 minutes, until the milk thickens up slightly.
- Stir in the salt, pepper, crushed red pepper, and chat masala. Add the cheese, then turn off the heat and stir.
- Spread the masala corn mixture onto the bread, then top with a little more cheese.
- Put the slices into a toaster oven at 400 degrees for 4-5 minutes, or until the cheese melts. You can then broil the toasties if you’d like.
- Once done, cut into triangles. Add a drop of Sriracha if you’d like a little extra kick.