This easy recipe uses simple ingredients that come together in a delicious and nutritious dish
Whole wheat flour or atta flatbreads made with shallots, green chillies, and other seasoning make for excellent onion paratha. Also referred to as pyaaz paratha, it is prepared in many Punjabi households. Here is a super easy onion paratha recipe for you to impress your family or guests.
For the paratha
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups atta
- ¼ tsp salt
For the filling
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 cup onions
- ½ tsp ginger-garlic paste
- ½ tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp cumin powder / jeera powder
- salt to taste
- ½ tsp aamchur
- ¼ tsp garam masala
- A few seeds / ¼ tsp ajwain / caraway
- Make the wheat dough and let it rest for about 20 minutes.
- Heat a tsp of oil in a skillet and go to work on the stuffing.
- Add a cup of finely chopped onions to the pan and cook for 1 minute.
- Add 1/2 tsp of ginger-garlic paste, then keep cooking the onions till they become transparent.
- Turn off the heat, then add the spices, half a teaspoon of salt, and two tablespoons of coriander leaves.
- Mix all the ingredients together to make the filling.
- Knead the dough that has rested for 20 minutes.
- Shape a ball of dough about 5.5 inches in diameter by pinching off a little at a time and flatten it into a paratha. Dust it with some flour.
- Put 2 tablespoons of the stuffing in the middle of each paratha.
- Pleat it inward from the edge until it reaches the middle.
- Cook the rolled paratha on both sides in a hot pan.
- Apply some oil or ghee.
- When finished, plate the hot onion paratha dish / pyaaz ka paratha recipe. It goes well with a dipping sauce, raita, or pickles.