Summer’s bounty is in full swing. That means we’re picking up bushels of our favorite summer produce — tomatoes, squash, stone fruit, and strawberries — at the market and incorporating them into every meal.
We were looking for a way to use some of them and came across this savory Summer Risotto with Confit Tomatoes and Zucchini by popular food blogger and photographer Kankana Saxena of Playful Cooking. She developed the recipe as a way to use the cherry tomatoes blossoming from her tomato plant right now. Once confited, they add a touch of sweetness and acidity to the dish, which also incorporates zucchini blossoms, leeks, garlic, and Parmesan cheese. Check out the ingredients below, then get the full recipe at Playful Cooking.
SUMMER RISOTTO WITH CHERRY TOMATO CONFIT AND ZUCCHINI
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 2 small zucchini, 1 finely chopped and 1 cut into ribbons with a vegetable peeler
- 1 leek, finely chopped (white parts only
- Handful of zucchini blossoms, charred on the grill
- 5 oz cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 c grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 4 cups chicken/veg stock or water
- 1 tbsp butter
- Salt, to taste
- Handful fresh basil leaves
There’s more risotto where that came from, check out Green Goddess Basmati Risotto