Turkey pot pie which is a universal favourite is a recipe that often meets the most important criteria of health and taste. A wholesome dish, it has the goodness of vegetables and meat and forms for a great idea when you have friends and family over. An ideal dish for parties and get togethers alike, turkey pot pie can also be prepped in advance and hence makes for a popular choice for celebratory occasions.
Pies date back as early as the Neolithic age and is believed to have been prepared around 9500 BC in Greece. Often called sea pies it included pigeon, turkey and mutton. It became popular as a comfort food in the 16th century in England and was prevalent in America in the 1700s. A pot pie typically consists of vegetables, meat, gravy and a pie crust. It is a wonderful way to use left overs as well.
Given the large quantity of vegetables, turkey pot pie is wholesome and nutrient dense. Vegetables like carrots are loaded with beta carotene, fibre, potassium, and antioxidants while green beans are rich in vitamin K and calcium. Celery is known for its anti-inflammatory properties and has an alkaline effect on the body. It is rich in vitamins and has a positive effect in controlling blood sugar. Turkey meat has a high proportion of vitamin B. You can also choose to add vegetables like bell peppers and broccoli to give the dish a healthier twist.
How to make the best Turkey Pot pie?
Below is a simple and easy recipe to make turkey pot pie. Read on to find out more.
- 2 cups fresh peas and carrots sliced into medium
- 2 cups potatoes sliced
- 2 cups green beans chopped
- 1 cup celery sliced
- 1 cup onions chopped fine
- ½ cup butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 ⅓ cups milk
- 4 cups cubed cooked turkey
- 4 (9 inch) unbaked pie crusts
- Preheat an oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit or 220 degrees Celsius.
- In a pan add all the vegetables (peas, carrots, potatoes, celery and green beans) and turkey pieces. Add water and cook till soft.
- Take a thick bottom pan or a Dutch over and add oil. Add butter and allow to melt. Now add the chopped onions and cook till translucent.
- Add salt, pepper and Italian seasoning. Stir in the flour, milk and chicken broth. Mix well and allow to thicken.
- Remove from the heat and add the cooked vegetables and turkey and combine well.
- Fit two pie crusts into two 9-inch pie baking dishes
- Spoon the filling onto the crust
- Cover the top using another crust
- Seal well and make some slits from the top with a knife to release steam while baking
- Bake for about 30 minutes till the filling starts bubbling. The crust needs to turn golden brown.
- Cool well for about 15 minutes before serving
- You can season the onions with herbs/onion powder/garlic powder as well
- Feel free to add vegetables like peppers, cauliflower, broccoli etc.
You can use 1-2 tablespoons of corn starch with water.
It could be bad for you due to the high content of sodium and calories.
You can use a thick pie; brushing the bottom of the pie with oil also helps.
Use 4 cups cubed cooked chicken instead of cooked turkey and replicate the above recipe.