Solutions for dry, chapped skin are waiting for you in the pantry
Winter is the time for sweaters and snowflakes. While it can be cozy, it is also a time when your skin needs special care.
Dry skin, chapped lips, cracked heels, acne and itchiness are just of the common problems your skin faces in the season. Cool, dry winds and freezing temperatures strip the skin of moisture leaving it dull and lifeless. While it may seem rather hard, glowing, radiant skin in winter might still be within reach. In fact, your pantry is a treasure house of skin treatments.
Daily essentials like milk, curd, honey, turmeric and even fruits and vegetables can solve common skin problems. According to Kruthika Kumaran, founder, Vilvah, ingredients like coffee, tomato, gram flour, aloe vera etc. are extremely effective in keeping your skin moist and healthy during winters.
“The best way to use them is in the form of the below DIY face masks that you can apply to make your skin feel smooth and supple,” she said. “Each of them offer unique benefits.”
Read on to find out more:
Honey Face Mask
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp yogurt
Mix all these ingredients to form a smooth paste.
Apply a thin layer on clean face and leave it for 10 minutes and then rinse off with lukewarm water.
- Honey heals your skin from breakouts and also prevents dry skin.
- Turmeric has anti-microbial property and reduces scars and acne.
- Curd keeps the skin hydrated and promotes clear and healthy skin.
Orange Peel Mask
- Aloe vera pulp
- Orange peel
- Take one or two aloe vera leaves, remove the top thick layer and rinse it with water until the yellow latex has been washed off. Now scoop out the fresh pulp from the leaf and grind it.
- Dry the orange peels in sunlight for 2-3 days, grind it to form powder.
- Now mix both the aloe vera pulp and orange peel powder to form a thick paste, add water if required to get proper consistency.
Apply a thick layer on the clean and dry face, leave it for 10 minutes. Once it dries, scrub your face with plain dry hands to remove it off the skin. Now wash your face with lukewarm water.
- Aloe vera soothes your skin and keeps it moisturized.
- Orange peel powder acts as an exfoliator to remove dead skin cells and also gives you radiant skin.
Gram Flour Mask
- 1 tbsp rice flour
- 1 tbsp gram flour
- 2 tsp curd
Mix all of these well to form a thick paste. Then apply a generous amount of this mixture on your clean skin. Leave it for 10-15 minutes, and remove it with a soft wet cloth.
- Rice flour has antioxidant properties that help prevent skin aging and promotes skin lightening.
- Gram flour has great tan removal properties, exfoliates the skin and unclogs pores.
- Curd like any other milk product contains lactic acid, essential fats and proteins, which will nourish the skin and keeps it healthy.
- 2 tbsp tomato pulp
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 tsp coffee powder
- Chop a tomato into few pieces and grind it. Strain it to remove the excess water and use only the pulp or paste.
- Mix it along with honey and coffee.
Apply a thick layer of the paste on your skin and massage it for a few seconds. Let it rest on the face for 10 minutes and then rinse it off with lukewarm water.
- Tomato pulp prevents acne, tighten pores and relieves skin irritation.
- Coffee acts a scrub that can remove dead skin cells.
- Honey is a natural humectant, so it keeps the skin moist but not oily.
Papaya Face Mask
- 2 tbsp Raw Papaya pulp
- 1 tbsp milk
- ½ tsp honey
- Take a small portion of a papaya and mash it in a blender to form a smooth consistency,
- Add raw milk and honey until it forms a thick paste.
Apply a thick layer of the paste on your skin and massage it for few seconds. Let it rest on the face for 10 minutes and then rinse it off with lukewarm water.
- Papaya helps remove dead skin, and gives your skin a radiant glow.
- Milk nourishes and soothes the skin by cleansing the pores.
- Always apply the mask after cleaning your face.
- Ensure that you do not leave it for too long that it completely dries and you need to vigorously rub to remove the mask.
- Wash off with lukewarm water and pat dry the skin thereafter.
- Moisturize your face by applying a mild lotion in circular motion once you wash off the mask.